LAN met at 7 p.m., January 7, 2016, in Meeting Room C at the Lawrence Public Library with Chair Candice Davis presiding. The following attendees were present:
Aaron Hachmeister, City of Lawrence Police; Becky Pepper, City of Lawrence Planning and Development Services; Brenda Nunez East Lawrence Neighborhood Association; Candice Davis, Oread Residents Association; Charlie Bryan Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department- Monterey Neighborhood; Cindy Suenram, East Lawrence Individual Member; David Longhurst, Downtown Lawrence Inc.; Jim Carpenter, Planning Commission Member; Kirk McClure, Old West Lawrence; Lisa Larsen, Lawrence City Commission; Mary Miller, City of Lawrence Planning and Development Services; Melinda Henderson, Brook Creek; Robert Lewis, West Hills; Shannon Spradling, Sunset Hill Neighborhood Association; Steve Evans, University Place Neighborhood Association
- Update/register neighborhood contact information on the City of Lawrence website (at https://www.lawrenceks.org/pds/neighborhood_information)
- When sending letters to city commissioners, be sure to email Bobbie Walthall at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that correspondence be included in commission meeting agenda
- Porter Arneill, City of Lawrence Director of Arts and Culture, to be speaker at February meeting; Marilyn Hull to possibly present briefly about the Pedestrian-Bicycle Issues Task Force at February meeting; Megan Gilliland to present at a future meeting
Comprehensive Plan text amendment for Urban Agriculture
Mary Miller, City of Lawrence Planning and Development Services, presented about the proposed text amendment to add Urban Agriculture to the Development Code. The text amendment was scheduled for consideration at the December 14, 2015 Planning Commission (agenda item 5, available at https://www.lawrenceks.org/assets/pds/planning/Dec15_Item5.pdf). The Planning Commission deferred consideration of the amendment. It is tentatively scheduled for consideration in February. For further information, suggestions or questions, contact Mary Miller at email@example.com or (785) 832-3147.
It was moved by Melinda Henderson, seconded by Cindy Suenram , to approve December 2015 minutes. Motion carried unanimously.
Cindy Suenram reported that there is $1918.82 in the LAN bank account. Collection of annual LAN membership dues for 2016 has begun.
Update from City Planning and Development Services
Becky Pepper reviewed the Neighborhood Update for LAN January 7, 2016, available at
https://www.lawrenceks.org/assets/pds/devservices/LAN/2016/ds_LAN_jan_2016.pdf. For more information, contact Becky Pepper at firstname.lastname@example.org or (785) 832-3153.
- Candice reviewed the LAN election results from December 2015: Candice Davis, Chair; Kirk McClure, Vice Chair; Charlie Bryan, Secretary; and Cindy Suenram, Treasurer.
- Candice discussed a number of recent meetings with local officials, including meetings with City Commissioner Larsen, Planning Commissioner Struckhoff, City director of arts and culture Porter Arneill. She also attended the presentation of the STAR Program at the public library regarding efforts by the City of Lawrence and Douglas County to obtain certification from the Sustainable Tools for Assessing and Rating (STAR) community rating system, a sustainability framework and certification program. Melinda Henderson suggestion asking Eileen Horn, the Lawrence-Douglas County sustainability coordinator, to present about the STAR system at an upcoming LAN meeting.
- Candice encouraged all LAN members to meet with city officials, including city commissioners and planning commissioners. Candice reminded members they cannot represent LAN but should mention their involvement in LAN. They can represent their own neighborhood and their own concerns.
- KTEN Crossing/Southpoint: On behalf of LAN, Candice provided public comment during consideration of KTEN Crossing/Southpoint during the January 5, 2016 City Commission meeting. Commissioner Larsen reported she was extremely impressed by all public comment. City Commission did not direct staff to reevaluate southern area plan. The KTEN Crossing project was rejected by the CC.
- Candice reported that duplex issues regarding parking are ongoing.
Reports from advisory committees
- Voter Education Committee: Melinda Henderson provided an update. 2016 is an election year, so VEC will become more active in the next few months. County Commission districts represented by Flory and Thellman will be up for election. 2016 Legislative Priorities Breakfast is tomorrow morning, January 8, 2016.
- Lawrence Loop: Charlie Bryan provided an update. The LiveWell Healthy Built Environment Work Group continues to advocate for finishing a 20+ mile loop trail around Lawrence everyone could enjoy. The Pedestrian-Bicycle Issues Task Force is also considering calling for the completion of key segments of the Lawrence Loop in the draft task force report, due for public comment in late January.
Update from Lawrence Police Department
Aaron Hachmeister provided the following updates
- The Lawrence Policy Department now has an official Twitter account, available at https://twitter.com/LawrenceKS_PD. The account is not monitored 24/7. For emergencies please call 911.
- Saturation patrols on New Year’s Eve led to the arrest of 8 individuals for DUI
- The Lawrence Police Department is accepting applications for the 37th Basic Recruit Academy.
- In April, Aaron will be going back to the Patrol Division.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:49 p.m.